Verse to Live By

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, March 1, 2014

In Which I Finally Got To Church

So, as I'm sure some of you know from my facebook posts, I was very excited to attend a new church this Sunday morning. I felt like I hadn't been in several months, and was getting a little desperate for some fellowship time of some sort or another. However, my first visit to this new church was a little different than I had expected...

Because I only started driving on Thursday, I had only really had a day and a half of practice. I am still not completely confident driving on the opposite side of the road, especially driving alone. My host mom asked if I would mind taking public transportation to church, until I was a more adept aussie driver. And that's where the adventure begins!

I had never taken public transport before, so I was a little excited and did a lot of looking at maps and everything. I took a train from the station, which was very close to the house (I was dropped off there by my host family). After getting off the train, I hopped on a bus, and missed my stop. (Of course) I was only meant to be on the bus for 2 minutes or so, but it ended up being more like 10. I then consulted the bus driver, and he gave me directions on how to get back to the stop I was supposed to get off at. So that took about 25 more minutes. I finally arrived at the proper stop!

From there, I walked quite a ways down a street called Henley... until I realized that I was walking the wrong way. So I turned around and walked back, crossed the street, and asked some very nice people doing yard work for directions. They ran and got their iphone to it up on GPS. (I was wishing I had an iphone at this point. Or something with wifi.) Also, may I mention that it was getting pretty warm out, probably between 85-90 degrees Farenheit. Im not sure exactly; everything's in Celcius here, but that's what it felt like. Luckily, I had a full water bottle and sunglasses and everything. I felt pretty darn prepared, actually.

Anyways, I finally saw the church in the distance! I was about 45 minutes late to the service, taking into account the bus fiasco and the extra long walk. The air conditioner was wonderful!!! Oh my, I love air conditioners! So I sat in the service for about 15 minutes, then it was over. I then went over to the guest table (they had free soda and cookies!) and met several very nice people, including a few couples who knew Modesto, First Baptist (back when it was called First Baptist) and several of the pastors there! I was pretty excited about that. Also, the person in charge of the young adult ministries was there. Her name was also Emily and she was from Tennesee! Needless to say, we were both pretty happy that we had met fellow Americans. It's funny how comforting that is, when living abroad.

I stayed and talk to people for about an hour after the service was over, having a grand old time. Then one of the ladies working the guest table (the one who had actually been to FBC) offered to drive me to the train stop so I wouldn't have to walk in the heat or deal with the buses! I happily accepted.

So, now I am back at the house! We just finished up a lovely BBQ with my host families friends, who were all very nice. I have met so many people today! It's great!

That's the story of my first trip to my new church. I think it is definitely a good one, and seemed very focused on Christ, and was absolutely very welcoming. Already excited to go back next week, when I hopefully can drive and actually arrive in time for the service!

This was definitely the most adventure-ful thing that has happened to me thus far!

Cheers, everyone!
(wow, that was Aussie sounding, wasn't it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment