Verse to Live By

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Caversham Wildlife Park

I haven't posted anything on my blog since just after Easter. Whoops. Sorry guys! The last couple of weeks just flew by so quickly that I really didn't have time to think up anything interesting or fun or exciting to write about. But you are in luck, dear bloggies of mine, because yesterday I did something. Something interesting, fun, and exciting. Something that made me feel like I had officially arrived in Australia.
This is Caversham Wildlife Park! I came here yesterday, a Saturday, with a couple of friends.The park was about 30-45 minutes away from my house, and nestled in a beautiful, green foresty area. There were LOTS of birds...
 This is a cassowary! And it made me feel like I was in Jurassic Park, for some reason.
 There were lots of owls...
 
 A GIANT ostrich. I really didn't realize how big these birds are. They are HUGE!











Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
merry merry king of the bushels, he
laugh, kookaburra, laugh, kookaburra
gay your life must be.

And a whole bunch of parroty-type birds... seriously, they were all over the place! They also are flying around in the wild here, which is really really neat to see. The birds here are all so colorful! And I loved seeing them up close and personal at the park. But this was not my favorite part...

 Apart from all the wonderful birds, I also had the joy to pet this cute little possum! Not opossum. Possum. Big difference. Opossums are ugly and scary. Possums are cute and fluffy. However, I have heard that they are kind of pesky and can do quite a bit of damage if they get in the roofing of a house. But at least they are cute!







 Wallabies... (didgeridoo... Hugh Jackman)
There were several different varieties of wallabies, hopping all over the park. They were really like little kangaroos, but I think I liked the kangaroos more. (We will get to that later. Can't wait!)




Flying foxes! These were very fun to watch. I like this picture a lot though. This particular bat is named Dracula.

(I don't actually know that, but he reminded me of Dracula.)






Aaaaand Australian Dingos! They really looked just like Aussie cattle dogs or heelers. I doubt they would be as cuddly, though. I didn't really get good pictures of them, but they were very pretty.





Now comes the good part!


The koalas! They were very cute and soft! We were able to go up to them and pet them gently with the back of our hand. And they were the best at posing for pictures.
  So basically, the park had about 30-40 kangaroos, just hanging out, laying around, and we were able to walk right up and pet them! It was amazing! Now kids, don't do this in the wild. You will get kicked. But at Caversham, they must be handled from birth. All the kangaroos were very gentle, even friendly! Food was provided to give to them, and they would hop up to you and put their little hands up and take to nibbles very lightly from your hands!

 Lookit that face! Super adorable!
And yes, this is, in fact, a picture of me holding a joey wrapped in a blanket! I was very excited! This just may have been the highlight of the trip!

So, the lessons learned, if anyone is ever in Western Australia, go to Caversham Wildlife Park! The experience is easily worth the $25 entry fee! The memories will last forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment