Verse to Live By

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Surfing Lizards at Coogee!

A couple days ago, I had a me party at Coogee Beach. I had been dying to go to the beach for several weeks, just lacking the motivation to actually turn my desires into actions. But one exceptionally unbusy day, I summoned up the courage to venture out.
 As soon as I pulled into the car park, I knew I had come to the right place! It had been slightly overcast when I left the house, but by the time I got to the beach (a mere 15 or so minute drive!) the sky was blue and the sun was shining! It was perfectly warm, but not too hot, and the ocean water was lovely and cool.

 Apparently people don't come to the beach too much on a Tuesday at 11:00. I had much of it to myself. A few people were off in the distance, swimming or sunbathing...
... like that person with the feet, there.
 There was an awesome looking slidey-thing out a ways from the beach. I didn't swim to it, but I probably would have if there were more people in the water.
 The ocean was sooo calm! It felt like I was swimming in a very giant lake instead of the sea. And so clear! I was able to wade out to my hips, look down, and see my toes!
 I took a lot a pictures of the beach. I was really happy that I brought my camera.
 Okay, story time! (Everyone's favorite words, right?)
So, because there were so few people around, I was a little hesitant on going swimming, even though the water was perfect for it. But I was already in my swim suit and really felt the ocean calling me, so I waded out a ways, just deep enough to wear I could pick up my feet and float, and swim along the shore a little. It really was like swimming laps in a pool. It was that calm! As I swam, I had my eyes glued on the horizon and scanned the water constantly for ominous fins sticking out of it. And I think, looking back, I would have been kind of strange if I didn't see anything, staring that intently at the ocean. But anyways, I'm very cautiously watching the water when I see a big dark shape out a ways ahead of me. EEEP! Then I hurry back onto the beach and look back. I see a dark fin... aaaaand it looks to me like a dolphin. And it moves like a dolphin. But I can't see it great, so I stand there for a while longer, watching. After about 5 minutes I haven't seen the creature, so I ever so slowly head back into the water. I swim for only a could minutes when the shape pops up again, this time very close to me! Probably only about 20 yards or so. Well, you can imagine that I was up on the beach lickity split. Looking back, I saw a couple dolphins playing out in the water. A few other people walked by, and we all stood there and verified that they were, in fact, not sharks, and I edged my way back into the water and continued my swimming!
 After the beach, I walked over to this adorable little cafe! As soon as I sat down, I really wished for a notebook and pencil so I could do a bit of imaginative writing. The creative juju was really flowin. Plus, the people there were so wonderfully nice! I actually just went back an  hour ago. When I walked in, they looked up and me and said "Oh, hi, Emily!" That was great.
 My very yummy chicken-avocado sandwich.
The Surfing Lizard Cafe!
'Cause what else would it be called?

So, there you have it! My love for Aussie beaches is now very well established.

No comments:

Post a Comment